Friday, July 08, 2005

The Plot Thickens

I remember when I was 18... (10 years ago) and thought I was invincible. At 28, I realize my own limitations, mental and physical. With that in mind, I still made the 880 mile drive from New Orleans to Kansas City for a long 4th of July weekend. That's where I'm from, so that's where the family is. Anyone who's ever been away from home or moved away knows that at least once a year, you have to go back. The weekend was awesome, lots of family from all over the country was in town. Some of them had not been in the area in over 12 years. It was a nice reunion, 50 people spanning 4 generations. Like all good things, the weekend was over and I had to get back to work. Problem was, work was in New Orleans, and the time of my departure was coinciding with the arrival of Cindy.



Well, call me stupid or just young and dumb. I had to get back... so I just hoped I would make it before storm arrival. Wrong-O... I met Cindy as I made the turn from I-55 onto I-12. I love 60 mph wind gusts across the Highway, from both sides at different times. It makes you want to stay awake when you've been driving for 13 1/2 hours. Not to mention the rain, horizontal rain. Good thing I had put on rain-x... wipers made it worse, but with the rain-x, I just let the wind suck it off the wind shield.

I finally made it home, and was very greatful that they closed the office for the next day because of Cindy. I recovered, came in to work on Thursday, and am now dreading the next one. I am not afraid of these storms, I am afraid of leaving my home to them while I am out of town. Here is where the plot thickens... I am leaving on Saturday morning to spend 12 days in San Diego for a business trip. Guess who's coming to the New Orleans area this weekend... Dennis. Good times ahead. Thank the LORD my wife and boys are still in KC on vacation.