Friday, May 12, 2006

Remembering (what's for dinner Mom?)

When I was 13, I never thought about cooking in my own kitchen for my own family. I can still remember learning the "right" way to make mashed potatoes and gravy, fried pork chops and the best green beans ever. The teacher at that point was my Great Grandmother.
I don't remember all the exact details, but I do remember how cooking was a big part of her life. My Mom's entire side of the family were all great cooks. Most guys look at me oddly when I admit that I enjoy cooking. I enjoy it because I am keeping memories alive, and I am honestly having the best time while in the kitchen. My Mom recently gave me some cooking accessories that once belonged to my Grandmother. I tell my son's (and now my daughter too... lol) everytime they are in the kitchen when I am cooking.

AWTM wrote about her Mother and angel food cakes... and even the coke bottles used to hold them up. I remember seeing these on the counter as a young boy. I can't think of a better way (at least in my family) to share and keep alive the memories of loved ones.