Sunday, December 04, 2005

Cooking with kids...

Well, I had a good time at home over the Thanksgiving holiday. I got to spend alot of time with my family. One of the things I got to do while home was to help out the other Kindergarten "moms" with the annual feast. It turns out that I am the only dad who showed. I got alot of stares. LOL. Since my family is the only Katrina evacuee family living in the eastern KC area attending that school, I always try not to mention it. I hate drawing that attention to us. I am so gald my son's teacher and the staff keep the reality of our "situation" under wraps. I like to cook, so I was ready to get started. We had about 5 moms show up to prepare a "feast" for 75. (65 five year olds, and about 10 to 15 adults) I was assuming that we would be using the kitchen facilities. Nah, we got to pretend we were college freshmen. They had a teacher's lounge, and 3 microwaves. Menu items included, Macaroni and cheese, Instant Mashed Potatoes (powder... is this really potato?) One of the moms was really adament about taking charge and watching the rest of us "do stuff". She caused a couple of the other moms who had shown up to leave. I volunteered to do the instant powdered 'taters, thinking, "The teacher's lounge is down the hall and away from her." Luckily, one of the other moms had broght in a 5 qt crockpot, and the lounge was sporting a 1982 era microwave. I had a brainstorm, and decided to make the potato-based nightmare in the dinosaur of postmodern technology. The 5qt crock barely fit in the jurassic period microwave... ('micro' wave? can't be about the size of the oven). I proceeded to cook them for 3 minute intervals, and fluffed them with a fork in between heatings, adding tiny amounts of water and butter. After 4 cycles, they were done. They looked pretty decent for powdered potatoes, and the kids really liked them. I am thinking how odd I must have looked making them. Me, the only dad, among a group of moms, and 'cooking'. I love cooking, my Mom and Grandma's have kind of rubbed that off onto me. I just hope I didn't ruin any of the other dad's evening at home later that night when their wives told them about the dad who played mom and cooks. The best part of that whole day was sitting with my 5 year old son, and watching him eat his little feast with his best friend from his class. Dear readers, sorry this is not as funny as Boudicca's version of "Cooking with Kids". LOL, that is a very funny read. Check it out.Boudicca's Voice: I Almost Failed First Grade Today